Our upcoming November trip will include our first ever Disney Cruise and it will be stopping off at Disney’s private island – Castaway Cay. In my research I have found some fun facts that I thought I would share.
- Its pronounced Castaway Key, which I find very weird.
- The Island was called Gorda Cay before Disney purchased it and it has a slightly checkered past.
- Part of the movie splash was filmed on the island.
- Castaway Cay is 3.1 miles long and 2.2 mile wide, occupying an area of approximately 1,000 acres although only 55 acres have been developed for the enjoyment of the visitors and enabling the natural beauty of the island`s flora to be maintained.
- The theming of the island is that of a castaway community and all of the buildings appear as though they were built following a shipwreck. Disney theming as brilliant as ever.
- You can book an excursion to feed the stingrays on the island.
- Disney Characters enjoy the island too, Don’t miss your chance to take photos with your favorite Disney characters against a beautiful beach backdrop. You’ll find friends at the post office, gazebo, gangway, and other popular spots.
- There is an Adults only section of the island called Serenity Bay.
- The island has several locations to get food, which is all included in your cruise price.
- There are things to discover under the sea – all you need is a snorkel.
- There is a working post office on the island – if you want to use it just make sure you take some dollars as it only takes cash.
- Approximately 60 Disney cast members live on the island. Not jealous at all!
Have you visited Castaway Cay before? Do you have any hints or tips? I would love to hear them, just let me know in the comments or visit me on Facebook!
Photos from PopSugar
Originally posted 2016-06-12 08:23:08.